Thursday 16 June 2011

Ghalib's ghazal 182.

taġhāful-dost hūñ merā dimāġh-e ʿajz ʿālī hai
agar pahlū tihī kīje to jā merī bhī ḳhālī hai
rahā ābād ʿālam ahl-e himmat ke nah hone se
bhare haiñ jis qadar jām-o-subū mai-ḳhānah ḳhālī hai

I'm the Abraham of Eternity's abscission, Exalted Ali of Submission's vision
Overlooked, I befriend misprision- Harold Bloom's in Karl Barth's revision
Ach! what so populates the world is the utter absence of men
This Tavern too were empty, filled a glass to my 'when!'
 

2 comments:

Sanjay K said...

This ghazal is certainly quite 'heavy' but it isn't obscure or allusively philosophical as you imply.
How on earth do you get Harold Bloom and Barth(which one?) into this?

A simple rhyming translation- not a good idea,for Urdu, generally- of the first couplet might go something like this

Exalted by this crushing reflection
I'm the lover of my own rejection
As you, to me, a cold shoulder turn
Your true beholder, I utterly burn

Anonymous said...

Great post on Aurangabadi's sher- http://qawwal.blogspot.com/2010/11/khabar-e-tahayyur-e-ishq-sun.html-
Nazar-e-taghaful-e-yaar ka, gila kis zuban se bayan karoon
Ke sharab-e-sad-qadaah aarzu, khum-e-dil mein thi so bhari rahi

I am speechless (kis zuban). How can I complain the indifferent and uncaring glances (nazar-e-taghaful-e-yaar) of my beloved? After reading, the second line it is clear that he trying to say that I cannot complain about those cold looks or eyes that have granted me so much. I am indebted to those eyes. Why? My heart is brimming with his desire (aarzu) as if a vessel (khum) is filled with hundred goblets of wine (sharaab-e-sad-qadaah).